As well as project work I have taken part in many professional activities including close links with academic researchers and technical conferences.
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Fellow of the British Computer Society
- Chartered Engineer.
- Formal Methods Europe member
- From 2003 to 2006 I was an honorary visiting professor in the Department of Computer Science, University of York, where I also served on the Industrial Advisory Board.
Invited speaker at conferences on software engineering, requirements engineering and formal methods.
Member of many programme committees.
Keynote speaker at
- The International Conference on Verified Software: Theories, Tools, Experiments, 2005
- Formal Methods Europe, 2002
- 3rd International Symposium on Requirements Engineering 1997
- 6th Conference on Software Engineering Education 1992
- 13th International Conference on Software Engineering 1991
Invited speaker at
- A Tribute to Michael Jackson at ICSE 2009
- 7th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods, 2005
- Software Engineering and Formal Methods, 2005
- 5th International Symposium on Requirements Engineering, 2001
- Workshop on Industrial Strength Formal Specification Techniques, 1998
- 10th International Conference of Z Users 1997
- 4th Eurographics Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, 1997
- Complex Systems Design and Management, 2010
- Programme co-chair of the International Symposium on Secure Software Engineering 2006
- International Symposium on Requirements Engineering 1995, 2001-2004, 2006
- International Conference on Software Engineering 1995, 2003 – 2005
- Formal Methods in Software Practice 2000
- International Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering 1996
- Conference on Software Engineering Education 1995
- Programme Chair of Z User Meeting 1994 VDM 90